Oven Roasted Breadfruit (Kadachakka) w/ Sun-dried Tomato Salsa

KODE IKLAN ATAS ARTIKEL 336x280
KODE IKLAN TENGAH ARTIKEL
Heard of Breadfruit? It is quite common in our part of India and we call it as Kadachaka. In Kerala cuisine, we use it to make a variety of side dishes. Intrigued by its English name, I wanted to see what it has in common with bread, so here is the simplest form. Since this is a starchy vegetable, I prefer to serve it as is. Just cut it like bread slices and bake it, and serve it for breakfast, simple enough ?? :-) Some research online tells me that this is very close to a typical Jamaican breakfast. They serve either roasted or boiled breadfruit slices along with an array of sides and sauces. I like mine with a freshly made salsa, while my son loved it with almond butter. 



Ingredients: 
  • Breadfruit - 1/2 medium
  • EV olive oil - 2-3 tablespoon
  • Sea salt and black pepper - as per taste

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  • Remove the skin and core from breadfruit.
  • Slice them into 1/2 inch thick slices.
  • Arrange the slices on a cookie sheet with a pat of coconut oil.
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes turning once till you see slight golden brown on both sides.
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle salt and freshly ground pepper.
  • Serve with your favorite salsa, sauce or nut butter.
  • Enjoy!!


Note:
  • If you do not want to switch on the oven, just heat a cast-iron or non-stick pan on medium heat, drizzle a tablespoon of coconut oil, arrange the breadfruit slices and roast till slightly golden, for about 4-5 minutes. Flip and repeat on the other side. 

Sun-dried Tomato Salsa (Ingredients) 
  • Tomato - 3 (small)
  • Sun-dried tomato - 1/4 cup (loosely packed)
  • Red onion - 1/2
  • Serrano pepper - 1 -2  (adjust according to spice level)
  • Sea salt
  • EV Olive oil - 2 Tbs

Directions:
  • Add all ingredients to a food processor or molcajete and process till desired consistency is reached. I like to keep mine a little chunky.
  • Enjoy!!
Note: btw, did I mention that this year I made my own home made sun-dried (oven-dried actually) tomatoes? I made a few batches with my local farm-grown tomatoes. I am still playing around with oven temperature and timing and not ready to post anything on that yet.






KODE IKLAN BAWAH ARTIKEL
close